Saturday, November 20, 2010

Moonlight and Midnights

Moonlight and Midnights

Moonlight and midnights, warmth of the world
Staring into their eyes, of deep blue and purple
You would not be able to recognize their enchanting whispers
That the winds echo, and talk to
Hissing through the trees, they speak to me
“Give your soul to the world” they command.
 But I cannot, for I am a fool, who has one only purpose,
Music, it has taken my spirit, forever and ever,
And I cannot give to them, what does not belong to me,
They hiss and cry, until the new day rises.
 But I must answer only to my master’s call
And not to those of the night and moon
For my gods have something which the world cannot give
Music that loops red and blue ribbons around the soul
The roses and violets of Mozart and Beethoven
They are the ones who possess what the moon desires
The candles flame, which lights the darkness,
For this is not a poem of fantasy, but reality, nothing less.
And while I do breathe the air to stay alive,
I would sooner hold my lungs still, before the absence of symphony,
For I am not a poet of words, but of sound.
   David Westlake

No comments:

Post a Comment