Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Riddle

The Riddle
David James Westlake

This is the riddle of the owl

 
Of the man who weaves through the wool
The language, of a broken fool
Oh how I am cruel, so very cruel
To take from you
What was not mine?
Not a penny, But a silver dime,
And to throw it in the bin!
Forgive me father, is this the darkest sin?

It will be in these times
That we shall grow,
That we shall grow so big,
And overflow.
And make a swamp,
That feeds the crow.

And now the owl has come to say
Do not be afraid
Do not be afraid
For soon is the time
That I shall trickle down the serpent's spine.
It will be this day, it will be this day,
That I will say.

Rest your head, upon the sand
That the waves sweep in, upon the shore
Because today we will be sure
That there isn’t any more
But was there anything before?
For those like me, so much more,
So much more, forever more

Hour glasses broken, in our hands
We lay upon the beach, hands bleeding
Souls of bleach,
The same in everyone, and every each
Our souls will be free to go,
Can we really leave?
I do not know, I do not know!

Can we see the stars?
Can we wake them, with the morning sun?
No, you can not
You spent your life at your mother’s spoon,
And this is the time of midnight,
and the moon.

For those of the spirit of the owl,
Whose life’s where not and never so foul
You can come with me
You can come with me
I will show you the garden, and the tree,
They do not belong to me,
But forever with the trinity.

The trinity of symphony!

And finally we reach you,
Oh the world, morals of poor
With its bent back spines made of straw,

This world will have in store,
Nothing more, nothing more.
The Earth lays flat upon the floor.


Inspired by T.S Eliot

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful reflection of T.S.Eliot's spirit! And the touch of "straw" is very Eliot!

    Beautiful!

    Just a small weakness! (Very small!) Somehow the last line seems a little close to a cliche! Not so unique like the rest of the poem!

    ReplyDelete